Every year, I try to cook up a new dessert for Valentine’s Day! This year, I gave a whack at making homemade cinnamon rolls.
I have not made homemade cinnamon rolls since I was a teenager, so this was quite the experience.
If you love the cinnamon filling, I would add a little bit more than the recipe. I am currently doing the PIIT28 challenge, so I was not able to eat any of these – but that was the only suggestion from one of my coworkers who is a huge cinnamon fan!
1 white cake mix
5 cups flour
2 tsp red food coloring
2 1/2 cup warm water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
2 pkg dry yeast
1/2 cup butter
Cinnamon to taste
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 ounces cream cheese
1 tbsp half and half
1 1/2 cup powder sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1. In a small bowl mix the yeast, warm water, and food coloring.
2. In a larger bowl combine cake mix, flour, and salt and then pour the water mixture into the cake mix. Add the vanilla, and stir completely until all ingredients are combined.
3. Cover the bowl tightly. Let rise for one hour. Punch the dough down and then let rise another 35-55 min.
4. On a flat surface, roll dough out on to flour into a rectangular shape about 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon, use as much as you like.
5. Roll the dough up like it’s a taco, and then slice it into equal pieces.
6. Place the rolls into a greased pan. Cover and let rise until double in size.
7. Bake the rolls at 350 degrees for 15-25 min. Take the rolls out and lay on top of the stove.
8. With a mixer, beat softened cream cheese and butter to start making the frosting. Once creamy, add the milk, salt, and vanilla. Slowly add the powdered sugar so it won’t go everywhere. Add frosting on top of cinnamon rolls and add sprinkles if you prefer to.
What are your Valentine’s Day plans?